Monday, July 09, 2012

Hair Therapy 2 – Nourishing Treatment Oil


I have experimented with oil blends on my hair in the past (Hair Therapy 1) with mixed results. While my hair soaked up the deeply nourishing oils, the formula was too heavy and viscous for every day use. Fast forward one year and add a little more knowledge, and I found a formula that I really like. I am not at the love stage yet, but it is getting there.
 

Hair Treatment Oil

Ingredients:
5 parts Coconut Oil
1 part Olive Oil
1 part Castor Oil
5 drops Vitamin E

Optional:
1 part Emu Oil
6 drops Lavender EO
6 drops Rosemary EO

Instructions:
Combine all of the ingredients in a glass jar and place in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes. Remove from water bath and shake vigorously until oils are well blended.

Directions for Use:
As a hot oil treatment, place jar in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes. Apply warm oil to hair and cover with a shower cap. After 30 mins, shampoo and condition hair as usual.

As a finishing oil, place 2 drops of oil into palm and warm between hands. Lightly apply the oil to the ends of the hair and to tame frizz.

Why did I choose these oils specifically?

  • Coconut Oil – Coconut oil has tons of benefits for hair. It's molecular structure allows coconut oil to penetrate the hair shaft to protect and moisturize. Coconut oil is also high in lauric acid and vitamin e, making it good for many conditions: hair loss, itchy scalp, dandruff.
  • Olive Oil – Olive oil contains vitamin E, niacin, biotin and vitamin D, which are all beneficial for the hair and scalp. It is also touted as a possible remedy for hair loss. Olive oil, like coconut oil, is very moisturizing for hair because of its ability to penetrate the hair.
  • Castor Oil – This sticky oil is included in the blend for its benefits to the scalp. Castor oil contains healing properties which can prevent bacterial and fungal infections associated with hair loss, dandruff and other scalp conditions. It also has omega fatty acids that moisturize and nourish hair.
  • Emu Oil (optional) – I added emu oil to this blend to make it a little more favorable for people with hair loss and because it emulsifies well. There's a lot of technical information out there about emu oil and hair loss, but I added it to my blend because I happen to like how is feels on my skin. The beneficial properties are a bonus. I noted it as optional because it is not very animal-friendly.
  • Vitamin E – In addition to being one of the most healing vitamins, vitamin e helps preserve the hair treatment oil.
  • Rosemary and Lavender Essential Oils – These oils are both used for hair and scalp health. Plus, they smell great!

This formula blend is light on my fine, curly hair. It still has some viscosity from the castor oil, but that actually helps with flyaways and frizzies. As long as I only use a small amount, it works great as a styling tool. I will also leave it on overnight when I want to really treat my hair to some therapeutic oil lovin'. Overall, this oil blend is helping my hair feel healthier, softer and fuller. 

Do you swear by a certain oil for your hair? Let me know in the comment section, on Facebook.com/floraesthetics, or on Twitter @floraesthetics!

No comments:

Post a Comment