Monday, January 09, 2012

DIY Diary: Back To The Drawing Board With Paste Deodorant


A few months ago, I wrote about my first experiment with homemade deodorant. After using it with great success for about three months, I started noticing my underarm skin was feeling sensitive. It was nothing visible, but I quit using the deodorant for a couple weeks to let my skin go au naturale. My boyfriend didn't have any problems with it until we traveled to Miami for a hot, Christmas holiday with my family. The deodorant melted in transport, but he continued to use it unaware that it had probably gone bad by this point. It started irritating his skin too, so finally it went in the trash. We both took breaks from deodorants for a few days.

In the mean time, I went back to the drawing board. Since I felt irritation first, I figured the deodorant must have been going bad before the Great Melt. I reviewed the recipe, which included only three things that I haven't used before for skin care: bentonite clay, juniper berry essential oil and cypress essential oil. I switched out the bentonite clay for white clay, added some oatmeal flour, and reduced the concentration of essential oils. I also added rosemary essential oil to help better preserve the deodorant paste.

The initial results are promising. The color is more reminiscent of commercial deodorants. The texture is nicer with the addition of the oatmeal, a little less oily with a little more firmness. The scent is nice and light. The first batch was good, but it ended up being a little too fragrant for my taste.

One drawback to our testing is that we are using a jar container and scooping up the paste with our fingers. I haven't found a good online vendor for deodorant tubes yet, so for now I will take advantage of our application method to test the deodorant's shelf life.

We've used it for two days with regular pit checks to test for effectiveness. So far so good...

2 comments:

  1. I'm all for chemical free. I am loving the sound of making your own deodorant. I have tried so many over the years and recently changed from salt deodorants and spraying a Peppermint Hydrosol afterwards, now I am using LUSH's AROMACO bar. It's fantastic - it lasts for ages and when you start to heat up - it releases Patchouli oil so you start to smell that instead of the nasties.

    http://ritualsbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out the AROMACO bar... what a great way to package the product. I just got an order of basic twist-up tubes to test a batch of my deodorant. Up to now, I've only used jar containers and the application process leaves something to be desired.

    http://pinterest.com/pin/15692298671550638/

    ReplyDelete