Thursday, January 03, 2013

DIY: Adzuki Body Scrub


Arrowhead Mills Adzuki Beans @Amazon
Coarsely-ground adzuki beans are a by-product of my cleansing grains recipe. Instead of composting them (vermiculture all the way), I decided to whip up a quick body scrub using the ground adzuki beans, which originated in China and Japan. 

I combined ground adzuki with olive oil just until the beans were soaked. Some oil-based body scrubs have a thick layer of oil above the exfoliant, but I prefer a drier scrub. I added enough olive oil  to leave a smooth, glassy surface on the scrub. Then I used it on my wet skin, scrubbing in a circular motion to gently remove dead skin cells. The scrub left me soft and smooth and felt great on my dry winter skin. Although a little messy, I was pleasantly surprised that the adzuki beans had an even consistency and adhered well to the oil. The mixture stayed on my skin while I scrubbed and spread easily and evenly... very important for a body scrub. I didn't mind the slightly earthy scent of the adzuki beans, but try adding just a couple drops of your favorite essential oil if you want a scented scrub.

I always forget to measure things out (and take pictures too), but here is my guesstimate for one, whole-body application:


4 tablespoons coarsely-ground adzuki beans 

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Combine in a bowl and mix well.

As for how to use, I took a warm shower to soften my skin and open up my pores for exfoliation. I find that the scrub cleansed my skin quite well, but if you want to use soap, do it before scrubbing. You want to make sure you don’t soap off the olive oil because it nourishes and hydrates your skin after rinsing. And all oil-based mixtures have a tendency to leave some oil residue on your bath or shower floor, so be careful.


I bought my adzuki beans in bulk at my favorite local market (shout out to Ward's), but you can buy organic adzuki beans on Amazon. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment